My Blog List

Visits

Saturday 20 August 2011

The Post Office

I have been thinking hard about my first memories of the shop. The earliest one must have been when I was about three someone spoke to me and I was hiding behind my mum's legs!!

 I am sure the post office part was on the left hand side with a hatch through to the next room? Then I remember it being at the back on the left hand side and then at the back in the centre-sounds a bit like football positions!! Not sure where it is now-must pop in for a nose!

There were always newspapers on the rack outside the front door on a sunday-we had to post the money through the letter box-very trustworthy!

There was a stamp vending machine on the wall and a chewing gum machine-can't remember if either of them ever worked though!!

Inside the shop in my earliest memories there always seemed to be cats wandering around-don't think that would be allowed these days!!

I remember a mars bar was about 5p and a can of drink about 8p- I don't remember spending old money in the shop but I do remember my bus fare to school was a sixpence and an old penny!! Maybe that's why we had to walk most of the time-anyone know the bus fare from Teston to Wateringbury now?!


The post office c.1960





The post office c.1907

The post office c.1910

No comments:

Post a Comment